Monday, July 13, 2015

Week 67 - Jardim Santo André

I will miss the people of my old area.   The members are really helping the missionaries.   I talked with Elder W. Souza, Rogério, and Manu yesterday.  I miss them.   There are going to be three baptisms soon.   I feel super happy to know that the area is strong and growing.

My new companion is Elder Lucas Ornelas.   He comes from the same group of incoming elders that Elder W. Souza came from.   He likes longboarding too!   He is way cool.   He is from the capital of Brazil - Brasília.   He is a great guy that wants to be obedient and follow the mission rules with me.   I’m excited to have him as my companion.

My new area is in Penha.  This is an older area of São Paulo.  My ward is called Jardim Santo André.  I’m in the middle of the favela.  My area is a giant hill.  The members are pretty cool.  The bishop is a great man and the ward mission leader is wonderful.  I feel we will see great success.

Visiting a Favela in Sao Paulo

I'm excited to be serving here.  It is a poor area with dirt roads nestled amongst the wealth of the city.  In this part of São Paulo there are many wonderful and humble people.  Some have turned to gangs or drugs looking for happiness.  My companion has been here for three months and has heard of twelve deaths.   But, don’t worry!   Nothing has ever happened to the missionaries.   Everyone knows who we are and they treat us well.   Besides, I’m three times bigger than most.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is needed by all!  As we turn to Christ we are lifted and our burdens lightened.  Through the atonement we are healed!  True happiness is found as we follow Him.

Lifting Burdens: The Atonement of Jesus Christ

This area is full of contrasts.  For p-day, I think we will go to the mall.   The mall is the biggest in South America! (Centro Comercial Aricanduva)  It has roller coasters inside.  My two cameras are still broken.   Hopefully, I’ll find a place that can fix one of them.