Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Week 2 - MTC Miracle

Oi! Tudo Bem! (Hi, what's up)

This week was really good and sad at the same time. I literally had MIRACLES happen! what's cooler then that!  Then a few sad things happened too.  My companion Elder Evans was having to go to the doctors a lot and I didn't know why.  I was really worrying about my companion so I said a prayer and asked Heavenly Father to please help me read something that would uplift my companion or that could give me insight into how to boost his morale.  LITERALLY RIGHT AFTER I said that prayer the wind blew my scriptures open to Alma chapter 8 (In the book of Mormon) and in that chapter there is a verse that talks about how Alma was told to go and preach to this city and everyone just hated him and rejected everything he said.  He left the city just down and feeling like a failure and then an angel appeared to him and was like why are you down?   You went and did what the Lord asked of you so you should be nothing but happy.  You did everything he asked of you.

Shortly after reading about that my companion came up to me and told me that he was getting honorably released and was being sent home tomorrow due to medical reasons.  The Mission President felt it was best for him to go home and he was really bummed about it.

I shared that scripture with him and let him know that hey even though he was going home early, he could be proud and happy.  He was obedient and did what the Lord asked and came here and gave it his all.  The Lord just has other plans for him at the moment then being on a mission. It really helped him out.

I can not recall ever having a prayer answered so fast or so personal like that so it was just really amazing.  Since I hold the Melchizedek Priesthood I was able to give Elder Evans a priesthood blessing that night which was a very emotional/spiritual experience and then after I gave him one he gave me one and I will probably never forget it!

Half of the people in my zone went home yesterday or today so now there are only six of us. We are getting four new Elders and one sister tomorrow which we are excited for!  It has been confirmed that a general authority is coming and giving a talk on Easter Sunday which I'm crazy excited for!!!!

Overall it was a good week and I am progressing a ton in Portuguese!  The days are going by sooooo fast it seems like I was emailing the other day.


Com Amor (with love), Elder Hammond


They have caffiene free Mountain Dew here!



The Brazil Sao Paulo East Mission area.